News of the Day: Train Wreck in New York


 NTSB: New York train was going 82 mph in 30 mph zone before crash

A Metro North train derailed Sunday in New York City, killing four people and injuring 63. Officials say excessive speed may have played a critical role in the accident as investigators are looking for details in the black boxes

By Richard Esposito, Jonathan Dienst and Tracy Connor, NBC News

NEW YORK — The Metro-North train that derailed in the Bronx — killing four people and injuring dozens — was traveling 82 mph as it hit a curve where the limit was 30 mph, officials said Monday.

The throttle was engaged until six seconds before the locomotive came to a stop on its side, and the brakes were applied only five seconds before, National Transportation Safety Board member Earl Weener said.

“The question is: Was this human error or faulty equipment? And the answer is at this point in time we can’t tell,” Weener said.

But he said the train was traveling above the speed limit — which was 70 mph — even before it rounded the bend.

“When I heard about the speed, I gulped. It kind of takes your breath away,” said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., who said any conclusions about the cause of the excessive speed would be “premature.”

“There’s one obvious point here, which is that the train did make nine stops before coming to this curve,” Schumer added. “So clearly the brakes were working a short time before it came to this curve.”

“It’s beyond frightening. It’s harrowing,” said Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn.

The data came from an examination of two black-box recorders recovered from the train after it jumped the tracks near the historic Spuyten Duyvil station in the Bronx at 7:22 a.m. ET on Sunday.

Investigators are also talking to the engineer, a 20-year-veteran who told first responders at the scene that he had hit the brakes as the train approached the turn, sources told NBC News.

They are inspecting his cellphone and waiting for the results of drug and alcohol tests. A surveillance video of the crash is being enhanced, officials said

NBC New York: Speed eyed as a factor in deadly Metro-North crash

Passenger Dennis O’Neil told NBC New York he believed the train was going too fast.

“It was coming towards Spuyten Duyvil and you could feel it starting to lean and it was like, ‘hey, what’s going on,'” he said. “And then it hit the curb real hard and flopped over and slid down the hill. A couple people were hurt very badly right in front of me.”

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo told TODAY on Monday that he believes the cause of the crash will turn out to be speed-related.

“This was a tricky turn on the system, but it is a turn that’s been here for decades,” he said.

The derailment tossed passengers around like rag dolls, and at least 63 people were injured; at least three were in critical condition on Monday.

Many of the injured use Metro-North to get to work and will have to overcome psychological trauma to use the railway again, an emergency room doctor predicted

“A 14-year-old who was traveling with his father, who was also injured, takes Metro-North to go to school in the Bronx,” said Dr. David Listman of St. Barnabas Hospital. “From his perspective, how he is going to get back on a Metro-North train to come to school every day?”

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority identified the four passengers who were killed as Jim Lovell, 58, of Cold Spring, N.Y.; James Ferrari, 59, of Montrose, N.Y.; Donna Smith, 54, of Newburgh, N.Y.; and Ahn Kisook, 35, of Queens.

Lovell, a father of four, was an audio technician who frequently worked on TODAY and other NBC programs.

One of the victims was found in the first car, one was found outside that car, another was found near the second and third cars, and the fourth was found outside the fourth car.

The accident — which could suspend service on the Hudson Line between Tarrytown and Grand Central Terminal for a week or more — could have been even deadlier if it had happened on a weekday. The train, the 5:54 a.m. out of Poughkeepsie, was half full with about 150 passengers.

Sherelle Coore, a 19-year-old college student from the Bronx who was on the train, told her cousin from her hospital bed that she felt a “jerking” movement and then everything started happening very quickly.

“She hit the side of her head,” Coore’s cousin, Lisa Delgado, told NBC New York. “She saw the woman in front of her go out the other window. Her glass broke, and she hung on to the side rails like a monkey while the train was flipping and the rocks were coming in.”

Sherry Nemmers, who lives near the scene, told NBC News that she heard a sound “that was a little too familiar for me.” She’d heard it before this summer, when a CSX freight train hauling trash on the same line derailed near the same area of the Bronx.

“I heard this thud — this dull thud. It sort of sent chills up me because it was a sound that I heard in July,” Nemmers said. “I was afraid that it was going to be a train, and it was.”

No one was injured in July, but questions were raised about the safety of the track’s design and its notoriously sharp turn right before the station. Cuomo noted that the two accidents happened at about the same location but said, “There has to be another factor. … It can’t just be the curve.”

Of those injured, at least 19 remained in the hospital. At St. Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx, where nine were still being treated on Monday, officials said one was in critical condition on Monday morning with a spinal cord injury. New York Presbyterian had seven patients, two of them critical. And there were two more patients at Jacobi Medical Center.

Sources said five off-duty New York officers suffered relatively minor injuries.

This story was originally published on Mon Dec 2, 2013 4:24 PM EST